The CD or DVD optical disc icon does not show up on the desktop or a dialog box appears to initialize disc
- Verify the correct type of disc is being used for the type of drive (a CD-ROM or CD-RW drive reads CD discs only; a DVD-ROM or Combo drive reads CD or DVD discs).
- Try cleaning the disc. If it is dirty or scratched, it may not mount.
- Try a different disc.
- If using Mac OS 9, select "Mac OS All" in the Extensions Manager control panel and restart.
- Reseat optical drive cable.
- Replace optical drive cable. (This is the same cable that attaches to the hard drive.)
- Replace optical drive.
Was this article helpful?