To reset the SMC on an iMac
- From the Apple menu, choose Shut Down (or if the computer is not responding, hold the power button for approximately ten seconds until it powers off).
- Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord.
- Wait at least 15 seconds. The SMC reset occurs automatically once the iMac has been unplugged from the AC power source for several seconds.
- Plug the power cord back in, making sure the power button is not being pressed at the time.
- Reconnect your keyboard and mouse to the computer.
- Press the power button on the back to start up your computer.
Note: The iMac does not have a button on the main logic board for resetting the SMC, which eliminates the need to remove the computer's cover to reset it (as required for some other models).
Was this article helpful?