Thermal Pad Replacement Instructions
The following instructions explain how to replace the thermal pads in the iMac (Flat Panel) computer. These pads must be changed each time the main logic board is removed from the bottom housing. No tools are required for this procedure
1. Remove the old thermal pads (circled below) from the bottom housing. Note: If you don't see all three thermal pads on the bottom housing, check the bottom side of the logic board.
- Using the thermal pad kit, remove the clear protective backing from the new thermal pads.
- Place the new thermal pads in the bottom housing. Note: Avoid unnecessary contact with either side of the thermal pad as dirt and body oils reduce the thermal pad's conductivity.
- Press down on the blue protective backing to make sure each thermal pad has even contact with the bottom housing. There should be no air pockets.
- Remove the blue protective backing from the new thermal pads.
- Replace the logic board. Warning: Replace the thermal pads. Refer to "Thermal Pad Replacement Instructions" mentioned earlier in this chapter.
Was this article helpful?