Important Things to Know
- These instructions cover the iMac G5, 20-inch, Ambient Light Sensor model; however, the procedures from the original 20-inch model are very similar. In some steps graphics from the original model may be used.
- All customer removable screws are brass colored (except for some fan screws on earlier units which use torx screws). Do not remove screws unless they are brass colored, or you will void your warranty.
- Ground yourself when working on the computer. The procedure will show you how to ground yourself.
- A magnetized "L'-shaped Phillips screwdriver is included with the replacement part.
- The following items are no longer offered as a Do-it-Yourself repair:
- power supply
6. Additional items are included with these service parts. Back Cover
• Two blank labels are included with the replacement back cover. Copy the serial number and Ethernet number off the bottom of the computer's foot and attach the new labels to the bottom of the replacement foot. The back cover take apart procedure will show you where to attach the labels.
- The LED gasket and light pipe are included
- Syringe with thermal compound
- Alcohol cleaning wipe
- A new pre-printed Ethernet label is included with the midplane. Attach the sticker to the bottom of the computer's foot, above the existing label.
- A blank serial number label is included with the midplane. Copy the serial number off the bottom of the computer's foot and attach the new label to the midplane. The midplane take apart procedure will show you where to attach the label.
- Do not pull on individual wires when disconnecting a part; pull on the connector.
- A screw chart is attached at the end of this document. Use the chart to identify screw type and screw locations.
Was this article helpful?
Read how to maintain and repair any desktop and laptop computer. This Ebook has articles with photos and videos that show detailed step by step pc repair and maintenance procedures. There are many links to online videos that explain how you can build, maintain, speed up, clean, and repair your computer yourself. Put the money that you were going to pay the PC Tech in your own pocket.
Get My Free Ebook