Remote wont communicate with system applications such as iTunes or iPhoto or with the optical drive
Make sure of the following when using the (infrared) Apple Remote:
- You are within 30 feet of the front of the computer.
- You have an unobstructed line-of-sight to the front of the computer.
- You are pointing the lens end of the Apple Remote directly at the front of the computer.
- The computer is powered on and awake.
- The "Disable remote control infrared receiver" check box in the Security pane of System Preferences is NOT checked.
- Make sure the active application works with Apple Remote. Apple Remote uses Front Row, and from Front Row it can access DVD Player, iPhoto, iTunes, and QuickTime Player.
- Make sure the remote is paired with the computer. Access the System Preferences -> Security pane and check "Unpair" if available. Close the Security pane, and re-pair the Apple Remote with the computer. See Knowledge Base article 302545: Pairing your Apple Remote with your computer.
- Use a digital camera to test your Apple Remote.
If you have a digital camera or DV camera with an LCD display, you can use it to see if your Apple Remote is emitting a signal. Infrared beams are invisible to the human eye, but most digital cameras and video cameras use Charged-Coupled Device (CCD) chips or image sensors that are sensitive to infrared light.
To use a camera to test your Apple Remote, follow these steps:
- Turn on your digital camera or DV camera and remove any lens cover.
- Point your Apple Remote toward the display latch button.
- Press and hold the Menu button on the remote while looking at your camera's LCD display.
- If you see a faint blinking light coming from the Apple Remote in the camera's LCD, then the remote is working properly.
- If you don't see any blinking light in the camera's LCD, replace the battery in your Apple Remote and then test it again with your computer.
- Replace the Apple Remote battery. See Knowledge Base article 302543: How to replace the Apple Remote battery.
- Replace the Apple Remote.
Was this article helpful?
What is So Great About Apples Design Concepts? There is always a reason why consumers are drawn to a particular brand of product. Apple has the record for drawing people in, and not just Americans, why? Ease of use, thats why.
Get My Free Ebook