Flashing question mark appears on the screen
Note: This system will only boot the Mac OS X system that shipped with this computer or later. It does not support booting into Mac OS 9.
- Start up from the MacBook Pro Mac OS X Install Disc 1 DVD that came with the computer (hold down the "C" key during restart).
- When the Installer opens, from the Installer menu under Utilities, select Disk Utility.
- When the Disk Utility opens, on the left hand side, all disk and volumes are listed. If you don't see the internal hard drive, the system is not recognizing it. Skip to the next step. Otherwise, select the internal hard drive icon and follow the instructions under the First Aid tab to verify the hard disk, and repair if needed. Restart the computer.
- If Disk Utility is unable to repair a persistent directory issue or corrupt file information, consult the following articles for possible solutions:
106214: Using Disk Utility and fsck to resolve startup issues or perform disk maintenance 25505: Directory Issue Verification or Repair Is Not Part of Installation 25770: Handling "overlapped extent allocation" errors reported by Disk Utility or fsck 302411: Disk Utility reports "Underlying task reported failure" when repairing a volume
- If the hard drive is not recognized, check the hard drive flex cable for damaged connectors (a connector peeled off the flex cable, for example), and if bad replace the hard drive flex cable.
- Reseat the hard drive flex cable. If still not recognized, replace the hard drive. Important: If the computer is under warranty and data recovery is required, refer to Knowledge Base article 31077: DriveSavers: Hard Drive Data Recovery & Warranty Implications for important information.
- Reinstall system software using the MacBook Pro Mac OS X Install 1 disc. Note: Don't forget to install both the Mac OS X system and application software.
For assistance in software troubleshooting, go to Knowledge Base article
88410: SMART: A Brief Description
152349: Mac OS X 10.3: Replacing a disk before it fails
Was this article helpful?