AppleCare offers two diagnostics for the MacBook Pro. Apple Hardware Test (AHT) is shipped with every machine and targeted for end-users to troubleshoot their machine. Apple Service Diagnostics (ASD) is offered to Service Providers for more in-depth troubleshooting.
Both applications are available for download from Kbase article 112125: Service Diagnostics Matrix. Apple Hardware Test (AHT)
- Apple Hardware Test (AHT) 3A105 for MacBook Pro (17-inch)
- Apple Hardware Test (AHT) 3A115 for MacBook Pro (17-inch Core 2 Duo)
- Apple Hardware Test (AHT) 3A122 for MacBook Pro (17-inch 2.4GHz)
- Apple Hardware Test (AHT) 3A135 for MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2008)
Note: AHT version numbers may change as diagnostics are updated.
To use Apple Hardware Test on the hard drive (MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2008) only):
- Disconnect all external devices from the computer except the power adapter.
- Restart the computer while holding down the D key. (Apple Hardware Test resides on its own partition on the internal hard drive.)
- When the AHT chooser screen appears, select the language for your location.
- Press the Return key or click the right arrow button.
- When the Apple Hardware Test main screen appears (after about 45 seconds), follow the onscreen instructions.
- If Apple Hardware Test detects an issue, it displays an error code. Make a note of the error code before pursuing support options. If Apple Hardware Test doesn't detect a hardware issue, the issue may be software related.
If this method is not successful, use AHT from the MacBook Pro OS X Install DVD..
To use AHT from the DVD:
- Insert the DVD named "MacBook Pro Mac OS X Install Disc 1" that came with your computer.
- Hold down "D" and restart the computer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Was this article helpful?
What is So Great About Apples Design Concepts? There is always a reason why consumers are drawn to a particular brand of product. Apple has the record for drawing people in, and not just Americans, why? Ease of use, thats why.
Get My Free Ebook