Internal hard drive will not initialize
- Start up from the software install and restore disc that came with the computer (hold down the "C" key during restart).
- When the Installer opens, from the Installer menu, select Open Disk Utility.
- If the hard drive is recognized, format it under the Erase tab.
- If the hard drive is not recognized, reseat the hard drive flex cable, or replace if needed.
- If still not recognized, replace the hard drive.
- Reinstall system software using the software install and restore disc.
Important: If the computer is under warranty and data recovery is required, refer to Knowledge Base article 31077: DriveSavers: Hard Drive Data Recovery & Warranty Implications, for important information.
Was this article helpful?