No modem dial tone
- Check that the correct modem is selected in the Network Port Configuration section of the Network system preferences.
- Verify known-good analog (not digital) telephone line.
- Verify known-good RJ-11 telephone cable.
- Verify RJ-11 cable is not plugged into Ethernet port.
- Inspect RJ-11 connector and modem port for pin damage.
- Verify RJ-11 telephone cable is firmly installed in the modem port.
- If using Apple Remote Access, select Ignore Dial Tone in the Modem control panel. If the modem connects with this settings selected, try another phone line. If using a terminal or communications program, enter atx1 to disable tone detection. To reset the modem back to the factory settings, enter atz.
- Check RJ-11 wires to Sound/DC-in board. Replace if bad.
- Verify RJ-11 wire's 2-pin connectors are plugged into correctly.
- Check modem flex cable is properly installed. Replace cable if needed.
- Replace modem.
- Replace logic board.
Was this article helpful?